The Reptile House replaced a building of 1882–83, which was itself a replacement of the world’s first reptile house, built in 1849. It was built on the site of an Ape House of 1901–02, parts of which were incorporated. It was built 1926–27 and was designed by Joan Procter, Curator of Reptiles and architect Sir Edward Guy Dawber.
To find out more about ZSL architecture and buildings, search the ZSL catalogue. Please note, the archive does not hold the plans of existing buildings as they are in active use.View In Archive