As the twentieth century dawned, the need to keep and study large animals in more natural surroundings became more apparent. Sir Peter Chalmers Mitchell (ZSL Secretary 1903–1935) envisaged a new park no more than 70 miles from London, over 200 acres in size and easily accessible to the visiting public. In 1926 an ideal site was found, the derelict Hall Farm, near Whipsnade village, nearly 600 acres on the Chiltern Downs. ZSL purchased the farm in December 1926 and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo was established.
To find out more about ZSL architecture and buildings, search the ZSL catalogue. Please note, the archive does not hold the plans of existing buildings as they are in active use.View In Archive